In 1817, the new parish church of St Marylebone was built over a large vaulted crypt which served as a burial ground until 1853 when its use was discontinued. In 1980 the bodies were removed from the crypt and reburied in Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey. The Crypt was then developed and, in July 1987, HRH The Prince of Wales opened the newly refurbished Crypt. Today, the Crypt is used by various groups and organisations including the Marylebone Health Centre (NHS), the St Marylebone Healing & Counselling Centre and The Guild of Health (the UK's oldest ecumenical Christian health charity).
Here you will find a link to information about the Crypt Redevelopment in the 1980s: Crypt redevelopment
The Marylebone Health Centre
Many people are startled to find an NHS Health Centre in the Crypt of a church. However it was always the intention that after its refurbishment the Crypt at St Marylebone would be a centre for healing, both physical and spiritual. Alongside the Healing and Counselling Centre, there is the Marylebone Health Centre.
The Health Centre is a regular NHS practice which also offers complementary therapies such as osteopathy, massage therapy, homeopathy, acupuncture and naturopathy through GP referral.
For further details about the practice click on the following link: NHS Marylebone Health Centre